Saturday, September 10, 2016

New Chapter

Last year, I was dabbling in the real estate industry attempting to get my real estate license because I LOVE everything to do with houses.  Half way through the program I decided sales, working weekends and nights, and contracts are NOT my thing.  It doesn't utilize my more dominant artistic side what-so-ever.  Talking to my long time friend and co-worker, Wendy, she asked me why I never pursued Interior Design.

"You're so into it, it's always been your thing."

A light bulb went off.  Wow... so many signs in my life have always pointed to me that Interior Design is what I should be doing.  The books on my shelves, the magazines in my mail and email, my Instagram and Facebook feeds, are all Interior Design.  I even have a blog about it.  Hello, Carrie!!!?

I have always dreamed about the career, looking at it like a completely unattainable goal.  Why though?  It's not like trying to become the President.  (Even though it seems anyone can do that now).

I, like most people, thought I'm not naturally good enough to do well at my dream career.  But it was time to get rid of that self doubt.  That's what school and work experience are for.  I'll learn as I go.  Nobody should waste their life not reaching for what they'd really love to do. 

So right away I signed up for an Interior Design degree and certificate program at my nearest school that offered it.  I have been happily working away at my degree now for almost a year and am loving every second of it!

Last month I also applied to a position as an Interior Designer Assistant.  I got the job and I couldn't be more excited.  Each work day is so majorly fun to me.  The Designer I work for is so talented and I'm learning so much. Being entry level, I feel very grateful to have the position I am in.

The same day I was deciding to go back to school another friend posted this:



I am not a fan of inspirational quotes.  But this one spoke to me.  hahahaha!  I can do it!  It's still my desktop wallpaper.  I laugh and get my butt back in gear when homework starts slowing me down.

Pet Grooming will always have a special place in my heart, but I'm ready to work on my new goal.  You know when something just fits?





1 comment:

  1. OMG ! Thought I was reading "my" resume !! I got my Interior design degree a hundred years ago. Even bought my own franchise: DECORATING DEN. However, I didn't like the sales part of it because people would not buy from me since they could get everything cheaper at Penny's, Lowes, Home Depot, Three Day Blinds, etc. I decided just to do my own homes and when I sold them, none of them stayed on the market for more than a month. I sold my first house in one day due to the design. My girlfriend and I were going to start a staging business but she got cold feet and backed out. I did design advice for friends but never got paid. Soooo, stayed in aerospace for the next 20 years but always wanted to get into real estate. After retirement, I worked with an investor group to find them great deals on houses they could flip until they screwed me over on a million dollar house they said they were going to buy then bought another one and did not tell me. Ended that relationship. So, decided to get my real estate license. Studied for months, when I was ready to take the test, the State lost my application three times even though I sent it "registered". Figured someone was trying to tell me something. Decided then and there to do the investing myself. Probably have spent thousands on books and seminars, my best opportunity came when I went to a seminar and met a guy named Robert who had his own investment company and he liked that I was excited about investing so we hooked up and started our own investment group ourselves and got about thirty other people involved in our group where we will be pooling our money and buying properties to flip and share in the profits. We meet once per month and it is really fun. I wish I had been doing this a long time ago. So Sweetie, glad you are doing what you love now. Much Love, Your Aunt Lynn

    ReplyDelete